Tuesday 4 January 2011

Interior Tests


The images below show the gradual progression of the apartment interior where most of the action will be taking place. This will eventually make up the final room, however, at this stage I am more interested in blocking in the key elements and creating a sufficient light source to illuminate the textures I spent a lot of time doing. This exercise was quite tricky and required a lot of trial and error. Many of the settings are heavily dependent on dials and the render settings themselves. In some cases the textures were too bright or the light sources provided too much illumination that destroyed the mood that Chris wanted. There is a fine balance in making all the elements come together. What I've learnt is there is no area which is less important than the other. Sure, lighting is a key factor but the objects as well as their textures need to compliment each-other in order for a well composited image to be produced.

You can see there are areas which still need planar mapping and UV mapping but these areas are relatively simple. For the purposes of my learning I decided to focus on the lighting and texturing aspects so I could apply these new techniques to other elements in the film.

I am confident with the new knowledge I have obtained that I can continue UV mapping many objects that appear in the film. The two images below show the Planar mapping stage that would prevent my textures from stretching. You can see the checkered material which helps hugely when aligning the UV's correctly. The second image shows a bump map experiment. This took a rather long time to render. I think this was down to the fact that the texture I applied had too high a resolution for the object and also the fact that my computer lags occasionally.

Although the texturing process is sometimes time consuming, it is well worth it when one can produce top quality images. Looking at the concepts and the models I can see many similarities, so I know I'm conforming to Chris's visions.








No comments:

Post a Comment